Last Friday, on my way to an appointment, I was listening to the ABC radio and heard the magic words.....Food Festival! The 10th anniversary of Bankstown Bites. A few celebrity chefs and cooking demonstrations were all on the programme. The thing that really interested me was a short 1 hour speed masterclass on Sushi by well known chef Raita Noda and Sake by Sun Masamune.
Book me in now.....!!
There was Greek dancing, we are in Bankstown after all. My Thia (Aunty) was one of the performers. While she was dancing, she spotted me taking photos and promptly burst into tears, not once missing a step. No one batted an eyelid.....ahhh emotional Greeks..... Love you Thia Cleo!
How amazing was the food carving! Would you believe the goldfish are carved out of carrots.
Next dinner party.......what do you think?
These days most of us are big fans of Sushi and all things Japanese. Healthy, nutritious and for a quick on the go lunch..... perfect.
See the middle photo! That is a paper thin sliced daikon radish that he carved with a cleaver for gods sake! His hands were like a piano player.......
- WET HANDS AND THEN CLAP TO REMOVE EXCESS WATER BEFORE YOU MOULD RICE
- HE USED WARM RICE
- WATER IS ICED
- EAT SUSHI IN ONE GO
- DON'T ADD SOY SAUCE - CHEF HAS MADE IT JUST RIGHT
- YOU AGE THE FISH - LARGER THE FISH - THE LONGER YOU AGE
- MYTH - DON'T EAT SUSHI OR SASHIMI FRESHLY CAUGHT IE FROM A TANK - FLAVOURLESS
- WHEN FISH IS LEFT TO AGE THE FAT CONTENT INCREASES - THEREFORE MORE FLAVOUR
- AGEING- LARGE TUNA UP TO 10 DAYS IN FRIDGE - WITH A PLASTIC BAG FULL OF ICE IN THE BELLY
- FOR JUST YOU AND ME - A SMALLER FISH, SAY SNAPPER - 2-3 DAYS
- RICE - OMG WHERE DO I START - HE SOURCES FROM JAPAN
- EACH SEASON CHEF WILL SAMPLE FROM EACH PREFECTURE - KOSHIHITORI IS HIS FAVOURITE. THE DIFFERENCE IN TEXTURE WAS A GAME CHANGER.
- WASABI -WHEN IN SEASON BUY FROM TASMANIA - WHEN NOT - BUY SHREDDED WASABI "FROZEN" NO MORE GREEN STUFF IN A TUBE
- SAKE IS ETERNALLY CLOSE TO WATER NO FLAVOUR STICKS OUT - I LOVE THAT PHILOSOPHY
- 3 SYLES - CHILLED, ROOM TEMP AND WARM. THE CHILLED WAS FABULOUS.
- HEALTH BENEFITS - NO SUGARS ONLY GLUCOSE
- GOOD CHOLESTEROL, CANCER FIGHTING. HE ATTRIBUTES THE LONGEVITY OF THE JAPANESE PEOPLE TO SAKE.
- NO HISTAMINES, NO PRESERVATIVES
- HAS ALCOHOL SIMILAR TO GRAPE WINES
Cooked Sushi - no probs just get the blowtorch out.
What can I say.... I learnt all of that and more in an hour. It was a truly fascinating experience.
Are you a fan of Japanese Cuisine? Or does raw fish make you shudder?